Providing suitable speech topics for children is often a real challenge.
(And, yes, I know that’s an understatement! I’ve been there as the parent AND as the teacher. Finding that gem of a topic that lights up a child’s imagination can be a mutually exhausting exercise. Hopefully this page will provide the gem you need very quickly.)
As their teachers or parents, we want stimulating, interesting subjects for them to work with butwe also need them to be aligned with their age group.
If we make them too adult we risk pushing them into areas they’re too young to cope with. If we make them too simplistic we run the risk of minimizing or patronizing their growing sense of awareness. As in everything, we need to find the balance.
The topic suggestions below worked well for me with middle-school children, aged between 11 years to approximately 14 years. Some are more suitable for the imaginative child and others for the practical, factual child. How you select them will also depend on the objective or goal for the speech.
If by small chance you reach the end of the page and no speech idea has leapt out to grab you you’ll find another 50+ elocution topics for kids waiting here.
Speech Topics for Children – Community & Social Issues
- Should more ‘green’ space (parks) be set aside for community use?
- Should recycling be compulsory and why?
- Should large cars be banned?
- What rights should a child have and why?
- Smacking a child should be illegal
- Does watching violent TV programs make a child think violence is acceptable?
- Does advertising influence our food choices?
- Do certain types of pop music teach the wrong values?
- Should students have the right to choose what school they go to?
- Should students have a greater say in what classes/subjects they study?
- The school leaving age should be abolished.
- We care too much about the way we look rather than who we really are.
- Clothes and being fashionable are way too important.
- Uniforms are better
- Parents should monitor how we use the internet.
- Chat rooms are dangerous
- I Pods are anti-social
- Good manners are important
Speech Topics for Children – Arts & Culture
- Tagging is art.
- Explain a cultural festival or practice of significance to you that others may not know about or appreciate.
- Why are film stars so popular?
- Who is your screen hero and why?
- Who is your favorite book/cartoon character and why?
- What inspires you about dance/art/drama/music or film?
- If you were to write a book for your age group to read what would it be about?
- My favorite festival is…
- I learn the piano, violin, trumpet, drums(insert whatever instrument)…because…
- The type of art I like to look at is…
- Strange facts about artists, dancers, musicians etc.
- If I was a famous screen star I would…
- My favorite story/poem/song as a little child was…
Speech Topics for Children – Fun & Whimsy
- A day in my life as a …(table, pencil, car, potatoe, bicycle, blackboard, window, ball, anything at all!)
- If I ruled the world…
- If I was a parent the ground rules I would make are…
- If I had three wishes they would be…
- If I re-wrote the story of ‘The Three Little Pigs’, ‘Cinderella’ etc. it would go like this…
- I am a fashion guru and I have decided the new trend will be…
- What I think of people from the viewpoint of a tree in the school grounds.
- My secret life as a hero.
- My greatest invention.
- Weird and wonderful words – what do they mean?
- How to write using invisible ink.
- My secret code…How to invent and use a coded language.
Speech Topics for Children – Sports & Games
- Explain the game of checkers/drafts/chess.
- My favorite sporting hero is….
- The best summer sport is…
- Extreme sports are dangerously exciting.
- In winter I love to ski, ice skate…
- Everybody should learn to play a team sport.
- Sport should not be compulsory.
- The best indoor games are …
- The best on-line games are…
- In sport, the rules are there to protect the players.
- What I learnt through learning to play…
- Winning is not so important as participating.
- Strange sports or games.
Speech Topics for Children – Food
- The best meal in the world is…
- The foods I do not like are…
- My favorite recipe is…
- How I learnt to cook.
- Healthy food I really like
- Food to make you fit not fat
- Birthday party food
- My favorite Christmas (celebration) food.
- Meal times in our house
- Table manners …Are they important?
- Do Americans eat too much?
- Fashions in food
- Should children diet?
Speech Topics for Children – Seasons & Nature
- Why do we have seasons?
- How and why does a tree change the color of its leaves?
- How does a tree grow?
- Why do we have day and night time?
- How come the earth goes round and round?
- What are stars?
- How does gravity work?
- Why are there tides?
- Explain how snow is formed.
- How is a diamond made?
- What is global warming?
- Show the patterns formed in frost.
- How does a rainbow work?
- Research strange plants – carniverous etc.
- What and where are the biggest trees in the world?
- How and why should we conserve nature?
Speech Topics for Children – Animals/Birds/Fish
- Why is a dog often called ‘Man’s best friend’?
- Are there bad dogs or bad dog owners?
- What is horse sense?
- How has the horse been used by man throughout history?
- What animal makes a great pet and why?
- How to look after a pet properly
- Do animals really think or do we only think they do?
- Is hunting animals fair?
- Is eating meat fair?
- What rights should animals have?
- Tell an inspiring true story about an animal.
- Are zoos good places and why?
- Find out about conserving animals/birds/fish in your local area.
- Retell a myth or legend about an animal/fish/bird.
- Research strange or rare animals/birds or fish.
- Interview a pet shop owner to find out what are the most popular pets.
- What do you think about restrictions around fishing?
- What is the symbollism associated with some animals/birds or fish? For example a lion stands for courage or strength.
Speech Topics for Children – Hobbies/Interests
- My doll/car/card etc collection
- How to make a model car, truck, plane
- How to sew your own clothes
- How to scrapbook
- How to learn another language
- How to ride a horse, skateboard,etc
- My perfect holiday
- The best rainy day activities are…
- How to tell a joke
- The best thing I’ve ever learnt…
As you can see the variations of speech topics for children are vast!
However if you’ve found nothing here to ignite your imagination try this page of 50+ elocution topics for kids
If you’re here looking for a topic for your own child, go through both pages with them. Suggest other possibilities and adaptions of the topics as you go. You’ll need to find a subject they genuinely care about and it’s best if the final decision is made by them!
Were you looking for information to help you write a speech for children rather than speech topics for them to use?
If so, you’ll find this page How to write a speech for kids useful.
Like to win free stuff?
Do you want to share a vacation you took with your family? Or maybe a swanky (or not) kid-friendly restaurant (attraction)in the Vancouver area? Don't be shy and email me at email@example.com. Check out all our current giveaways here and visit our sister fitness site GirlGetStrong.com for even more groovy giveaways and contests!
Filed Under: Fun Corner